Congratulations!! You are engaged!!! Once the initial shock has worn off and you can finally tear your eyes away from that sparkly new addition on your left hand, you may begin to feel a bit overwhelmed with the idea of planning a wedding. Most people have never planned an event as overwhelming as a wedding and the stress of your to do list (that just keeps getting longer and longer) may be starting to creep in. First, take a deep breath and relax! And keep reading to find out what you can move to the top of that to do list and make your life much easier.
1. Share your exciting news and celebrate! Obviously, you want to call your parents, close family members, and friends first. They will want to share in your happiness too! Start thinking about those close friends and family members who may be a part of the wedding party (such as best man, maid of honor, and other attendants). And make sure you enjoy actually being engaged. Don’t let the start to planning take away from the fact that you are engaged to be married.
2. Set the budget and guest count. Both of these tasks go hand in hand because a conservative budget simply cannot support an extensive guest list. Find out who may be contributing to the wedding and how much each contributor is willing to spend. Decide on a general estimate of the number of guests you like to invite to the wedding. This is important information that needs to be known before other aspects of planning can begin (such as selecting the caterer or venue). Next, actually create a guest list. Yes, it’s boring and tedious but you never really know how many people you want to invite until you actually start writing it down.
3. Set the date for the big day. Ideally, you want at least 6 months to plan so that you don’t feel to rushed and go wedding-crazy. Also, most wedding vendors book dates up to two years in advance depending on how high demand your area is so you want to make sure you don’t have to settle for someone else because you set your date too late. If you are considering a destination like Charleston, for example, you will want to get started fairly quickly as it is an extremely popular market (and for good reason!). It is difficult to continue planning your wedding without setting a date because so many things are affected by it.
4. Get help! Consider investing in a wedding planner. You definitely do not need to take on this huge event by yourself. There are a million other things in your life that take up time (work, school, children, family, friends, and the list goes on). You don’t want to put yourself in a situation where you are so stressed and tired that you aren’t even enjoying your engagement anymore. Having a hard time wrapping your head around the thought of hiring a planner? Think of your wedding like buying or selling a home. Technically, you do not need a real estate agent to sell your home, but the whole process is so much easier with one. Someone is there to navigate you through all your options, give advice, and troubleshoot as problems arise. Same thing with a planner! Also, many planners offer design services as well, like we do, so you really double your investment when working with a planner.
5. What’s your wedding style? Do you want beachy-boho or city chic? Or do you want laid back yet refind or modern and fresh? Knowing your wedding style will help you start considering a color palette and the event design. Again, if you’ve hired a planning and event team, they will be a tremendous asset in this area!
Wedding industry and married friends, any additional advice you can share with the newly engaged? I would love to hear your advice!!
About Leigh Pearce Weddings: Leigh Pearce Weddings is a full service destination wedding planning and design company. We are committed to providing thoughtful planning services, timeless designs, and unparalleled coordination experiences. Our clients value timeless events, Southern hospitality, and creating memorable experiences to last a lifetime. We work with a select number of clients every year in order to focus on giving an exceptional experience from I will to I do. Your planning process and wedding day are treated with the utmost care, attention to detail, and personal touches. It is our goal to exceed your expectations in every way. We are based in Greensboro, North Carolina and are available for travel throughout the Southeast. Some of our favorite destinations are Asheville, Charlotte, Charleston, Chapel Hill, Durham, High Point, Raleigh, Richmond, Wilmington, Winston-Salem, and the Outer Banks.