Destination weddings are SO much fun, but they can also be a lot of work and stress. Planning far away from the location you will tie the knot is a little extra work, but I have some tips below that will make life easier and the end result so worth it!
1. Hire a planner: A planner will save you in so many ways. Stress, time, money, number of trips to your venue, and more. The value of a planner is a post for another day, but in regards to your destination wedding, a planner will be able to plan your entire wedding with ease allowing you to only deal with the fun decisions (like tasting cake!).
2. Plan ahead: Popular locations like Charleston are in high demand. Even if you aren’t ready to make the detail decisions (what your centerpieces will look like, what to serve for supper, etc.), go ahead and book your venue and vendors. This will get you on everyone’s calendars in advance and you can figure out the nitty gritty later.
3. Plan a trip: This isn’t always feasible especially if you are going to an international destination, but if you are able, planning a trip to your venue before the big day is a must. You can talk to the locals, host all of your appointments in a few days (think cake tasting, menu tasting, floral mock ups, planning meetings), and begin to picture how it will all come together. If you aren’t able to go in person, this is where a planner can also come in handy. For our destination brides, we have video calls, send pictures and videos of anything and everything, and fill you in on the details.
4. Create a wedding website: Every wedding can benefit from a wedding website, but with destination weddings, it is key to a great guest experience. Your guests need detailed information on hotels, transportation, flights, the weekend schedule, places to visit and more. Here at LPE, we find that our out of state or international guests will often not only visit for the wedding weekend, but also stay for an extended period of time. With the mountains and beach a short drive away, it is the perfect excuse to see all that North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and beyond has to offer!
5. Host multiple events: I know what you are thinking. But hear me out. There is so much stress, high expectations, and overwhelm surrounding the wedding day. It’s your one shot to get it right and have all of your family and friends in the same place. But if you host multiple events (think casual brunch, fun welcome party, etc.) you will have time to actually relax and enjoy your family and friends. Hosting all of these events at the same resort or in the same close vicinity to your wedding will make things easier when it comes to planning. And, of course, your planner will make all of this a breeze!
Do you have any great destination wedding tips? I would love to hear them! Share in the comments below and happy planning!
Leigh Pearce is the owner and creative director of Leigh Pearce Events, a boutique wedding planning and design company specializing in luxury weddings and highly personalized events. LPE is based in Greensboro, NC, and serves Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham, Asheville, Wilmington, and the rest of North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and destinations beyond with impeccable and exclusive wedding experiences. Connect with Leigh today at 336-552-5645 or email@example.com about your special event.