Weddings in Greece can be civil, religious or a combination. Both types of weddings are legally recognised. An officiant performs civil ceremonies, while a minister or priest performs religious ceremonies. Greece is known to be a liberal European country, but also a religious one.
How do you marry someone in Greece?
You need not reside in Greece to marry in Greece, but the bureaucratic process to obtain a marriage certificate can take several weeks. You may be required to present a marriage license issued by your State of residence in the United States.
Are weddings in Greece legal in UK?
For the marriage to be legal in the UK, the couple must declare their marriage at the local Registry Office in Greece within 40 days of marrying, so that a Marriage Certificate can be issued. … Visit the British Embassy in Athens and have the certificate translated.
How can a foreigner get married in Greece?
Getting married in Greece for foreigners
- A passport.
- A birth certificate with an Apostille stamp certifying the copy.
- A Certificate of Marital Status, known as affidavit of marriage, with an Apostille stamp.
- An official document about changing your name, if any.
- An adoption certificates, if any.
How much does it cost to marry in Greece?
The average cost of a wedding in Greece is around $19,337 (€16,654). You’ll have to cough up just a hair under $20,00 for a wedding in Greece, according to the UK Alliance of Wedding Planners.
What paperwork do I need to get married in Greece?
What are the legal requirements to get married in Greece?
- FULL birth certificate of the bride and groom,
- Certificate of no impediment to marriage or marriage license or capacity to marry of the bride and groom,
- Divorce / adoption / change of name certificates where applied,
- Passports of the bride and groom.
How long do I have to be in Greece before getting married?
This waiting period will vary depending on the municipality where you choose to marry, but can take anywhere from a week to a few months. For a civil marriage license, you can expect a seven-day waiting period.
Where is the best place to get married in Greece?
The Best Destination Wedding Venues in Greece
- Casa Playa Beach, Zakynthos. If you have ever dreamed of a beach wedding, then a wedding at Casa Playa Beach in Zakynthos is the perfect setting. …
- Agreco Farm, Crete. …
- Amaltheia, Varkiza. …
- Deda Estate, Thessaloniki. …
- Cameo Island, Zakynthos.
How do I get a Greek passport through marriage?
In order to obtain a residence permit, the spouse of a Greek citizen, must submit to the competent Decentralized Administration a certified copy of his/her passport, together with the relevant visa or temporary or permanent residence permit, marriage registration certificate, copy of the Greek citizen’s ID and the …
Are you legally married in the UK if you marry abroad?
Your marriage or civil partnership will be recognised in the UK if both of the following apply: … you followed the correct process in the country where you got married. it would be allowed under UK law.
How do I prove I’m not married UK?
Contact your local register office (where births, marriages and deaths are recorded) to obtain your Certificate of No Impediment. This must be done by the person applying for the CNI.
Can you be married in 2 different countries?
Note that it does not matter that he married his other wife in a different country. In U.S. immigration law, a marriage anywhere in the world is still a marriage. … USCIS might take another look at whether your marriage was bona fide to begin with, as opposed to being a sham to get a green card.
Which country is easiest to get married?
Easiest countries to Get Married in Around the World
- Las Vegas. This is the easiest place in the world in which to get married, and is well known as the “Wedding Capital of the World”. …
- Gibraltar. …
- Caribbean. …
- Denmark. …
- New York. …
- Cyprus. …